Sunday, December 23, 2012

Breakfast Cookies

In spite of slowing down during the holiday season as is my intention every year, it has sped by quickly with a full schedule. So it was no surprise that when I got up to make breakfast yesterday morning I had little for breakfast. Even my normal back up of oatmeal was unavailable (1 cup does not feed 6 people!) Digging around I found this interesting breakfast treat. Kids did not complain, after all, how often does mom let them eat cookies for breakfast!

Breakfast Cookies


1/3 c. butter or margarine
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. flour
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt  
1/2 c. grated cheese
5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 c. oatmeal (recipe called for quick cooking, but all I had was old-fashioned, cooking time extended several minutes)

Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt; stir into creamed mixture. Beat in oatmeal, cheese and crumbled bacon. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 20 3" cookies.
I also added about a 1/4 c. of ground chia seeds and reduced the oatmeal a bit. Click here if you are unfamiliar with the health benefits of chia seeds.
I'll be honest, these weren't my favorite, although they were a good start. The kids loved them! Which is exactly why I didn't get a pic of these goodies. I'll be trying these again soon and tweaking to my particular taste. Best of all, these can be made up ahead and even frozen. Great grab on the go snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment