Friday, March 15, 2013

Craft Stick Games and Activities

My daughter and her friends love jumbo craft sticks. Wal-Mart sells a large box that is guaranteed fun for hours. Her favorite way to play is gluing them into shapes and then painting with watercolor paint. But I needed new ideas, looking something small and easy to fit into a PoKi sling. Here are some of my favorite ideas!


American Indian Stick Game
Craft sticks and a couple of markers are all it takes to put this easy American Indian game together. Simple enough that it could be completed just about anywhere, wouldn't necessarily need to use craft sticks, just something flat that could be decorated on one side and dropped. Click here for American Indian Stick Game instructions.
Decorate two craft sticks with the same design, and the other two different. Leave the back side blank. Use additional sticks for score keeping.
Shape Sticks
 This was a fantastic demo by Vanessa at Tried and True. The only thing I did differently was I shrunk the booklet, intending to laminate before my eldest son's FRC Robotics Event. It did not get finished, but the kids loved them anyway! It was a simple activity to put together. I did use regular hook and loop tape (strips cut into squares); it's what I had and although not quite as nice looking as Vanessa's, worked just as well. Her demo says it all and has a great printable so I will let her describe for you. Click here for Vanessa's Shape Sticks
I already had Velcro in strips so I just cut into squares.

Craft Stick Puzzle

These are everywhere on Pinterest on these days. Take two coloring sheets cut out from a coloring book or activity pad (mine came from the dollar store). Then take eight craft sticks and line them up. You can temporarily attach tape across the sticks on the on one side to keep the sticks from moving. Cut out a coloring sheet to fit and glue down with a glue stick. Flip over, remove tape and repeat with remaining coloring sheet. When glue is dry, use a sharp knife to cut between the sticks. Pack the crayons, so it will be two times the fun!

Cut out picture and glue down to craft sticks. Turn over and repeat. When glue is dry, use a utility knife to carefully cut apart sticks.

God's Eye Yarn Craft
Do these bring back memories? I remember making them at camp. I am sure my little people will enjoy.   It requires little time to put together. No craft sticks? Use a couple of sticks from a tree....or maybe a couple of straws from your local drive thru!
Click here for printable directions
Use variegated yarn for added effect!


8 comments:

  1. We have a giant box of craft sticks that we bought at a yard sale YEARS ago. I don't think we're ever going to run out....we'll have to give some of these a try...the shape sticks look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen-hopefully your kids will have as much fun as mine. I am heading out today to purchase a new box!

      Delete
  2. Love these ideas! Fun, fun!

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun - thank you for the ideas. We did popsicle stick puzzles one time on our blog. http://sistersplayinghouse.blogspot.com/2012/03/kids-week-games-games-games.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will try photos next time for the puzzles. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cute ideas for craft sticks. My grand kids would love these. I am your newest GFC.
    Have a nice week,
    Bev
    @http://eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. what great ideas! will have to try some of these with my girls. thanks so much for sharing at The Humble Brag!

    ReplyDelete